Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
-if you are drinking on the porch make sure to clean up your cans, bottles, plates and cigarettes after you are done
-try not to hang out on the porch late at night, especially during the week, our neighbor is crazy
-try not to play music on the porch, especially after 5 when the neighbor is home. it doesn't matter if it is just an acoustic guitar, she hates us and has/will call the cops
-if you are working on a bike make sure to throw out your old tube/tire/bar tape, put tools back, keep stuff organized. don't lean bikes against the fence (yes the neighbor also complains about how this is somehow rotting her side of the fence), put them in a rack
-don't bring back "cool" things you find in the dumpster especially if you aren't going to use it
Anyway, we'll show you a good time, and we're working on getting our own house, instead of our dumpy apartment so there's more room for people. Also, if anyone wants to play shows out here, we would love to help set stuff up.
We love and miss you fools. Every one. Think of us when you're too drunk to stand up.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
2. Robin Williams in Jumanji
3. Karl Marx/Jack Passion
5. Santa Claus
6. Fidel Castro
7. Blackbeard the Pirate
8. Che Guevara
9. Sean Connery
10. Saddam Hussein pre-Operation Iraqi Freedom/Francisco
Worst Beard ever goes to Al Gore's post-Inconvenient Truth god awful excuse for facial hair.
((obviously much time and thought has gone into this and it is still a work in progress))
((tell me about beards that have inspired you and ill add them to this important list))
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
I know some of you have gotten job hours cut back due to the economy, and some of you have school hours that allow for help during normal work hours, and some of you don't have any school or job at all - all of which indicate that you could be more than available to help me help the SARP Center in their move! I'll post specific times as to when they will be moving, but it is in the next couple of weeks.
Also, volunteer training just finished for the winter quarter, but if anyone is interested in becoming a volunteer for the SARP Center spring training will be coming up in a few months. You can do a lot of different things: running the crisis hotline, helping presentations at school classrooms about everything from safe/consensual sex to gender equality, helping run women's self-defense courses, doing office work and putting together pamphlets/packets/information, being an advocate for rape victims at CMC, and more. Not everything you can do requires a lot of intensity - any small thing helps. Helping the women's self defense is available to women only, and being a CMC advocate is available to men only, but everything else is free to everyone. If you're interested in working with another beneficial community organization I have worked with a couple, and know a lot more, and would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
...cuz I only went to 5.
1. 88 Boadrums, Los Angeles
The Boredoms put on a free concert at the La Brea tar pits on 08.08.08 at 8:08 pm. It was a fucking crazy 88 minute-long drum orgy. It featured drummers from Hella, Entrance, Tussle and Mika Miko. Drum Orgy. Nike sponsored it and supposedly gave away free t-shirts. I didn't get one.
2. No Age, Mika Miko, Black Shirts at the art center.
Remember that random dude getting stoned in the middle of No Age playing? And Black Shirts singing "bossy".
3. ShellShag and King Brothers at Retrospect.
This was an okay show. Japanese bands never disappoint.
4. Avila Reggae Fest.
Drank tons of beer in the sun and danced and smoked joints with errrvrybody. I think it was Stephen Marley playing. Then we were all to drunk so we hung out in Avila until midnight then got a ride to Sunshine Donuts and proceeded to eat a million goddamn donuts.
5. EDC in Los Angeles.
This was a crazy fucked up rave at the USC football stadium with 65000 spectators. I don't know if this is technically a concert but Moby played and hes kinda cool in a high school band teacher sorta way. Spent the next day getting lost in Venice Beach, and riding home in a car full of gals with no more serotonin in their brains. I was way too overstimulated that weekend but it was epic.
Number one is in the right spot but the two through five aren't in any order. Im just that confusing.
Monday, January 26, 2009
To see when we put ours up. So here we go, Black Shirts top 10 of 200-wasticate:
(probably you guys missed out on these cuz they weren't released on cassette)
Nick Cave - dig Lazarus dig
Ruby Suns - sea lion
Portishead - third
Kassin+2 - futurismo
Abe vigoda - skeletons
Black angels - directions...
King Kahn and the shrines - this is
Breeders - mountain battles
"bear face" abe vigoda
"teen creeps" no age
"a milli" lil Wayne
"womanizer" britney spears
"bossy" black shirts
1) Monopolowa vodka. It's super cheap and made from potatoes, so it doesn't give you a gnarly hangover!
2) "the preacher" comic series. Holy effing ess,eff me in the ayyyyy. So good. So wicked and filthy.
3) john came - "fear" and "vintage violence"
4) alice Coltrane and pharaoh sanders - voyage to whatever it's called
5) red honeymoon. Nick cave, roland s Howard,Tracy pew, and lydia lunch--together, forever
6) Greek gods honey-flavored yogurt
7) whole foods!!!
8) learning to say "y'all"
9) learning to type on an iPod touch, as we no longer have a computer due to negligence in the "kitten-rearing" dept.
1.des ark:battle of the beards
2.mt eerie:lost wisdom
4.the bananas:new animals
7.paul baribeau:grand ledge
9.shorebirds:gonna get ugly
top six shows, oawwwww
3.mt eerie(santa cruz)
4.viking moses/golden ghost(santa cruz)
top 5 places to eat
3.follow your heart wraps(co-op)
theres probably alot of really random shit i could write about...but these are the most relevant and possibly interesting i could come up with...up the punx!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
(In reverse, inverted order)
1. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
2. King Khan & The Shrines - The Supreme Genius Of
3. Crystal Stilts - Crystal Stilts
4. Walkmen - You & Me
The Black Trifecta:
5. Black Angels - Directions To See A Ghost
6. Black Keys - Attack & Release
7. Black Shirts - Abra-Cadabra Mother Fuckers EP
8. Rodriguez - Cold Fact (Reissue, but new to me)
9. Magnetic Fields - Distortions
10. Bill Dixon - With Exploding Star Orchestra
11. Nobunny - Love Visions
12. Diamanda Galas - Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
13. Eddie Bo - In The Pocket With Eddie Bo!
14. Sam Cooke - One Night Stand: Same Cooke Live At The Harlem Square (Reissue of a reissue)
Albums I have not heard enough of but will likely make best of 2008 in 2009:
-David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
-Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls
Best Discoveries 2008
-Mas Rock 'n Roll (Electro Harmonix) Latin garage/punk! Listen to anything on this label. Best compilation I've heard in years.
-Elizabeth Cotton - Shake Sugaree
-Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger (I listened to this every time I worked in the Jazz room for like two months)
Best Shows 2008
1. Sleepy Sun
2. Black Shirts, Mika Miko, No Age, Miguel crowd surfing
3. The Weeds
4. Black Shirts @ Zeb's: Debut of the kitty mask
I know I know but I didn't leave this forsaken town once last year.
Best Excuses To Avoid Having Dinner With Tasha Powers After Work 2008
(I actually used every one of these)
1. I don't like hanging out with people
2. I'm really tired
3. I have to run to Urban Outfitter for some paperwork
4. I have food at home that's about to go bad
5. I'm too hungry to wait for you to cook food. I'm going to Tonitas
6. I'm a loner, I don't hang out with people very often
Here's the best, I used these four in a row after walking home with her after work:
7. TP: What are you doing? You should just come over and I'll make dinner.
7. Me: I'm not hungry.
7. TP: Well we should play music together.
7. Me: I don't play in front of people, I'm not very good.
7. TP: Come on it's just me.
7. Me: Look I have lot's of paperwork to do at home.
7. TP: Well having a glass of wine really quick will relax you before all that stresful work.
7. Me: I don't feel like drinking.
Best Ways To Ruin A Party 2007-Present
1. Fight bros for 20 minutes with bricks, have cops called (w/loft @ Elijah's)
2. Climb onto neighbors tool shed, have cops called (w/ Carl @ Nevon's)
3. Stand at door and tell people they aren't invited inside (w/ Black Shirts @ Dwayne's)
5. Introduce yourself to people you don't know and steal their alcohol from their hands when you go to shake it. Don't give it back and drink it all. After cleaning out party promptly leave. (w/ Caleb Nichols @ Graham's aka Franciso's new house)
7. Make fun of everyone and tell people you're the music director to scare the shit out of trainees (every trainee party)
9. Storm into party dj'd with ipod. Put on Black Flag. Mosh off the couch and walls until everyone stops dancing and goes home. (w/ Garland @ KCPR Stephanie's)
9. Destroy the party donkey and steal/break Monet prints (w/ Francisco @ Obama's)
10. Find KCPR Stephanie dressed like Miss Teen American Apparel and "thizzing" out of her mind. Attempt to make out with her. Listen to everybody say per usual "no one can touch her she's too fucked up to know any better. That would be taken advantage of her." Think to myself she's like this every single day anyways, she just wants it really bad. Procede to take her to the bathroom and have sex with her in the butt anyways. Cum on her face. Fulfill my duty for the "up the butt" party theme. Go outside and boo all the dj's until Franciso goes on. Dance to Arabian Prince's - "Situation Hot" Get banned from all KCPR related events. (At trainee party tonight in about three hours! YES)
Here's to 2009
Top 10 12"s
10. Carbonas, Self-titled
09. Loser Life, My Hell
08. Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Primary Colours
07. Gentleman Jesse & His Men, Introducing…
06. Killer Dreamer, 1,000 Years of Servitude
05. The Wax Museums, Self-titled
04. Shorebirds, It's Gonna Get Ugly
03. Tim Version, The Decline of the Southern Gentleman
02. The Bananas, New Animals
01. Dillinger Four, Civil War
Top 10 7"s
10. Needles 7"
09. First 2 Estranged 7"s
08. Cola Freaks, Nej! 7"
07. The Libyans, Welcome to the Neighborhood 7"
06. Both Young Offenders 7"s
05. Audacity / Makeout Party, split 7"
04. Blotto / Ringer, split 7"
03. All Shang-A-Lang 7"s
02. Cheeky, Choke on a Cheeseburger 7"
01. Sneaky Pinks, Loner w/a Boner 7"
My sincerest regardes to all those important works of art that were released on 10", 6", 5", or any other eclectic-yet costly-diameters of vinyl. And sorry as well for grouping bands' 7"s in one listing. They all rule, and that's a promise.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
1. VOID - faith/void/faith split
2. Descendents - two things at once
3. The Dickies - the incredible shrinking dickies
4. Mika Miko - 666
5. The Vicious - alienated
6. The Dead Milkmen - big lizard in my backyard
7. Ceremony - violence violence
8. Choking Victim - no gods, no masters
9. Blink 182 - dude ranch
10. Blink 182 - buddha
Top of ‘08 (In order….cuz I got ballz)
1- John Baker Tapes Volume 1 & 2 (Trunk)
2- Bill Dixon w/the Exploding Star Orchestra (Thrill Jockey)
3- Flying Lotus -
4- Arabian Prince - Innovative Life (Stones Throw)
5- Soulja Boy - Unsigned and Still Major Da Album Before Da Album (not trying to be cute or funny, this is some of the most original music made this year; he is only 17 years old too!!) (Self released)
6- William Parker - Double
7- George Mitchell Collection Vol. 1-45 (Fat Possum)
8- 78s From The EMI Archive (Honest Jon’s)
9- Blank dogs - On Two Sides (Troubleman Unlimited)
10- Peter Brötzmann/Uuskyla – Born Broke (Atavistic)
*I did not include any full length reissues or else Lula Cortes and Orchestre Regional De Kayes would have been in the top 2 positions.
Top 5 Musical Experiences (In order)
1- Digging in Mexico D.F. and bringing back a suitcase full of records.
2- Seeing Pharaoh Sanders in LA perform two shows, getting my copy of Black Unity signed, and, OMG, shaking his hand!!
3- Seeing Cecil Taylor live at Grace Cathedral (which has 7 secs of natural reverb) in SF
4- Driving back home for the holidays while trippin ballz and listening to Barry White’s album “The Icon is Love” twice in a row.....blowing my fucking mind
5- Finding one of my most desired lps in Amoeba SF (Celly Cel’s Killa Kali in mint condition mind you)
Biggest Disappointment of ‘08
Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
2. earth balance
4. dumpstered sourdough bread
5. vegan sloppy joes by willie
6. buchon mush
9. tofurky soy sausage
10. soy jerky
why do europeans not have the vegetarian thing down?
miss you all!
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
top 20 albums of 2008 (in no particular order, besides the bananas being at the top)
the bananas "new animals"
the measure [sa] "one chapter in the book"
god equals genocide "life of doubt"
shorebirds "s/t 7"" and "it's gonna get ugly
sex/vid "communal living"
cheeky "choke on a cheeseburger"
todd congelliere "people in the sand e.p."
the underground railroad to candyland "bird roughs"
shellshag "destroy me, i'm yours"
dillinger four "civil war"
fucked up "the chemistry of common life"
hunchback "pray for scars"
eddy current suppression ring "primary colours"
doctor bird "meet dr. bird"
pangea "those new songs(?)"
jehova's fitness "worst summer ever"
killer dreamer "1000 years of servitude"
that list ended up being way longer than i was originally planning, but whatever.
top 5 shows of 2008
5. defiance, ohio; this bike is a pipe bomb; vena cava; neato-bandito; pcjs @ steinburg in january
4. NUX FEST
3. AWESOME FEST
2. CHAOS IN TEJAS
1. THE FEST
well there you go. i'm pretty excited to hear about some cool shit from everyone!
Top New Music of 2kHate (generally the higher = better)
Skull Collector - Oh Men of Mildewed Minds
Pygmy Lush - Mount Hope
Rudimentary Peni - No More Pain
Woods - Some Shame
Dystopia - s/t
Islands - Arm's Way
Verse en Coma - Rialto
Hypothermia - Gratoner
Sigur Rós - Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
Thou - everything released this year
Jaguar Love - Take Me to the Sea
Breathing Fire - Years of Lead
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra+ Tra-La-La Band - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull
Fall of Efrafa/Paper Aeroplane - Tharn
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
Portugal. the Man - Censored Colors
Mortalized & the Guilty Connector - Concerto for Harsh Grind Noise #1
Failures - s/t
The All-American Rejects - When the World Comes Down (serious)
Top Old Bands I Revisited and Fell in Love with Again:
Top Shows (no order):
Portraits of Past/La Quiete
Skull Collector/Punch in SB
Graf Orlock/Dangers/Fischer/Skull Collector (aka Naked Juice dungeon)
this was so hard becasue i always forget what year shit comes out and im soooo indecisive..anyways.
goslings - occasion
(not my favorite goslings album but its the only 2008 one + super fuzzed out)
french quarter - st
(these songs stuck with me)
mount eeire - lost wisdom
verse - aggression
(always stuck in my head)
samothrace - lifes trade
sun araw - beach head
(i really liked this for some reason)
hatred surge - discography
grails - doomsdayers holiday
(riffs + this band is longtime fav)
punch - debut ep
skull collector - ep or whatever
(you guys worked hard on this..and the end result is awesome)
top 5 shows
nux fest, nobunny, corrupted, thee oh sees, sparrows gate (sike!)
top 5 burritos
that one place in longbeach, tonitas, tios, tortilla town, tonitas
that took way to much of my time..im gonna go hangout in the kitchen
most in order.
.Des Ark- Radio demo II.
.French Quart- S/T LP.
.Mount Eerie- Black Wooden Ceiling Opening E.P.
.Mount Eerie- Lost Wisdom.
.Thee Silver Mount Zion...-13 Blues for Thirteen Moons LP.
.Punch- Eyeless E.P.
.Cult Ritual- 2nd E.P.
.Cult Ritual- 3rd E.P.
.Mind Eraser - Conscious/Unconscious LP.
.Sex Vid- Communal Living LP.
.Dry-Rot- 3 records on 1 CD.
.Pygmy Lush- Mount Hope.
.Cower- Hatred Songs E.P.
i didn't feel like taking the time to figure out what stuff actually came out in 2008, so i just made a list of the stuff i enjoyed the most in 2008. in no order at all
1. mind eraser - conscious, unconscious
2. fall of efrafa - elil & owsla
3. dystopia - human=garbage
4. the ergs! - jersey's best prancers
5. oroku - living through the end of time...
6. ceremony - still nothing moves you
7. death cab for cutie - transatlanticism
8. dead in the water - echoes...in the ruins
9. modest mouse - the lonesome crowded west
10. blink 182 - mark, tom, and travis show
11. breathing fire - year of lead
12. wu-tang clan - enter the wu-tang (36 chambers)
13. tonitas - solo burrito w/ black beans
miguel's top tens (no order)
eat skull - sick to death (siltbreeze)
ty segall - ty segall (castle face)
nobunny - love visions (1234go!)
woods family creeps - woods family creeps (woodsist)
dystopia - dystopia (life's a rape)
underground railroad to candyland - bird roughs (recess)
blank dogs - on two sides (tmu)
sex vid - communal living (dom america)
the bananas - new animals (recess records)
wavves - wavves (woodsist)
catatonic youth - piss scene (hozac)
shorebirds - shorebirds (no idea)
nodzzz - i don't wanna (make a mess)
Monday, January 12, 2009
And if we end up getting good at soccer, we should try to get into a league and get some fucking trophies. I'm pretty sure that we could take these little fuckerz.
And go make your top of '08 lists!